This time of year is hard with lack of sunlight, so here we go!
1) Obviously donuts make you happy OK, so stop stressing about it. Stress is the number 1 cause of poor health, so obviously it is worse for you than the donut. EAT IT. Had to get that out of the way first LOL.
2) Probiotic rich foods like FERMENTED FOODS. Gut health = brain health! How? Your gut-brain axis is connected through the enteric nervous system. This nervous system connects your gut to your brain, which communicate and provide feedback to each other with stressors, (ie food intolerances, toxins, viruses, bacteria and even emotions). #HaveABadGutFeeling ? Lol.
The GUT also contains 100 million neurons - that’s more than the spinal cord! Major neurotransmitters (which regulate our mood) like dopamine and 90% of our serotonin is produced in our guts! A healthy gut plays a huge role in regulating our mood and happiness. Eat more fermented foods like kombucha, sauerkraut, coconut kefir, kimchi and tempeh!
3) FISH/SEA FOOD - These are concentrated sources of omega 3 fats, particularly DHA and EPA. The brain is composed of 60% FAT! - 40% of which is DHA, which enables membrane fluidity to allow neurotransmitter function to improve happiness. Omega 3s are also nature’s most potent anti-inflammatories. Inflammation in the body and brain interferes with nervous system and cellular communication, interfering with our ability to interact with our neurotransmitters.
4) Eggs - these are an amazing source of choline, which helps brain cells produce acetylcholine, a key neurotransmitter for mental focus and learning. Eggs are also a great source of vitamin B6, helps the body make serotonin, needed for mood regulation and norepinephrine, which helps the body cope with stress.
5) Leafy and collard greens - These foods are a rich source of Vitamin C and magnesium, which are both required to convert the amino acids, tryptophan and tyrosine, to serotonin and dopamine for mood balance. Add spinach to smoothies or make collard green wraps!